Testing some mobile mapping apps to see suitability for off-line, field-work mapping ...
Topo Maps+ (Best pick so far!)
Topo Maps+ is only for IOS mobile devices, with free downloadable off-line low resolution topo maps. Can record new tracks while hiking.
To Create a Track
– Record Button > Record New Track > Pause > Stop > Edit Track Colour, tags, visibility, etc
To Share a Track
– To Share Map Data, you must first create an account to sync data, which also signs you up for a newsletter
– My Data button > Tracks > Share > Share Map Data > deselect all > check tracks to export > Share > Choose Evernote > open Evernote in a desktop web browser (the links on iPad Pro Evernote don't work) > creates an export.kml file in the download folder > the kml file can be opened in Google Earth, or in a plain text editor to extract the lat/lng coordinates
– My Data > Tracks > Share > Export Map Data > deselect all, then check tracks to export (choose KML or GPX format) > Export > Choose: Email to attach file (emails can take up to 12 hours to receive - be patient)
Maps.Me User Guide
Tips for use
– offline maps are free to download
– hold Finger on map to create a point
– Download maps for off-line access
– Saved points will automatically be uploaded to open Street map when within Internet access; This is not the option to use for private places, use bookmarks instead
– To save a waypoint save it as a bookmark, using the star icon.
– Click edit to rename Bookmark and save
– To send yourself a KMZ file with all the saved bookmark waypoints, click the two started three bar menu at the bottom of the screen, and click "share by email"; KMZ files can be opened in Google earth, or can be opened in the Maps.me app on another device
– Bookmark places can be used to create routes, by starting to type the name of the bookmark it will show in the side menu
Mapp app is only for IOS mobile devices, using Open Street Maps. Maps can be downloaded for off-line use. Both Waypoints and Tracks can be saved and imported.
Tips for use
- need to purchase off-line maps
- need lat/long coordinates to make waypoints
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *